Year 3 Sports Day
6th July 2015
Unfortunately the Year 3 Sports Day had to be cut short due to the weather conditions. The staff at Bebington High School, who organised the events, have asked us to share with you the following:
- The BBC weather forecast for Wirral indicated a high probability of rain from late morning onward
- Our policy was to continue through the rain should the individual sport organisers deem it safe
- The rain started (light at first) during our opening ceremony and it was again explained to the participants and staff that we would continue as per the policy above
- The rain became heavier between 10.15-11 a.m.
- Several of the event organisers began to field complaints and concerns from parents and staff
- The organising committee met just before 11 a.m. at which time a decision was made to ask event organisers to shorten the morning competitions to finish at 11.30 a.m. and move the handball competition indoors since the concrete MUGA area was becoming slippy
- A few moments later some schools were beginning to make decisions to withdraw their own children from the event under pressure from parents
- At 11.10 a.m. the decision was made to cancel all sports and take the youngsters, parents and staff into the sports hall
- We arranged for the dance and drama groups to perform the work they had been doing up to that point, asked the bus company to return the buses and all were safely off-site by 12 p.m.
The forecast for tomorrow suggests a chance of 'light rain' from lunch time onwards interspersed with sunny spells. It is absolutely our intention that the event goes ahead as planned but in order to avoid some of the issues experienced today could we please reiterate the need for the year 4 pupils to have a waterproof and a change of clothes. Some of our activities (tennis, team building and cricket) will take place indoors IF they have to!